Monday, October 25, 2010

NaNoWriMo = Awesome Exercise


A couple of weeks ago mentions of NaNoWriMo started popping up everywhere.  And by everywhere, I mean Twitter.  I can honestly say that I had no intention of participating this year because I already have so much to do anyway, all by my own choice of course. There is the editing I’m doing on Loss of Ignorance.  I also started working on a new novel a little more than a month ago.  Add to that working full time and I know that just about all of you know what I’m talking about

I know five days before the start of NaNoWriMo is a bit of sudden decision but I’m all about abrupt decisions, it keeps me on my toes and life interesting.   It might have been a mention I saw this morning on my Twitter feed but then and there I decided to jump with both feet in.  I have an awesome, crazy, fun idea that I was saving for a later date but why wait? 

A few posts ago I might have mentioned  that I watched Howl’s Moving Castle for the first time and I fell head over heels in love with the movie.  At the end of it I thought, ‘that is the kind of story I want to write’.  The kind of story that is just so completely fantasy but still has elements of real world in it.  I want it to be totally fantastical and push me towards doing something that I think I could do but probably would have been too scared to try.  I don’t want to be disappointed by what I have at the end of it.  So I’m throwing caution to the wind and writing the story for NaNoWriMo.  Here are a couple of pics from the movie that inspired me so:


So in short about my novel:  It'll be a young adult fantasy.  Most likely between 55 & 60k, though probably not in the first draft.  There will definitely be romance, I've been wanting to write some proper romance and not just hint at possibilities like I've been doing so far.  It'll have loads of weird and awesome stuff too.  I'm basing this story, a few elements from it at least, on a Grimm Brothers' tale.  But it'll only be a few thoughts to guide me from one end to the other.  I'm seriously looking forward to it.

I'll post regular updates with links to useful NaNoWriMo post etc.  I just saw a post by the awesome Nathan Bransford.  Here's what he posted:  NaNoWriMo Boot Camp: Choosing the Right Idea.  I'll leave you with that while I go read what Nathan has to say, I always learn a lot, research and start planning that novel.

Night.

2 comments:

  1. SO that is your idea, you have been inspired by Howl's Moving Castle. I can see how that can happen. It's a brilliant movie and I'm glad that you are going for the fantastical/weird streak.

    W00t! AND I saw that post. I need to get on with my notes. I have six days to go... and not much of an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My idea's changed somewhat. Read through the Grimm tale I wanted to reference and it just didn't have anything I needed or wanted in it. I thought it would but... So it goes.

    Well, at least it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be fun.

    ReplyDelete