Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NaNoWriMo Preparations and Support

Evening all.

A quick post to update whoever is interested.  Which is kind of only me.  So anyway.

The last two days I've been hectically planning the NaNoWriMo novel plot and actually managed to get everything I want to happen down on 2.5 hand-written pages.  At the end of my previous post I mention that I was going to reference a Grimm tale.  I read the tale I had in mind and nothing fitted.  To be completely honest, I was relieved to throw it out because I want to keep the novel as original as possible.  When I think about the guidelines I've written down, I'm really excited to get started.  The only worry I have is that I won't be able to finish my story in time.  By that I mean I might want to go way over word count.  But I only have to finish it, it doesn't have to be perfect.  I really want to do this.

Which brings me to my next point.  Actually finishing it.  I will seriously need some whip-cracking so my colleagues Elzet and Madeleine have graciously offered to do the cracking.  We'll have a chart in the office and I have to report my word counts there.  See?  The people I work with are my friends.  They'll threaten me with death if I don't finish.  I think it's because I begged them to and that they just really want to read something I've written.  I told them that I'd think about it.

Enough of that.  Yesterday Nathan Bransford posted about Goals and Obstacles in his NaNoWriMo series.  I found this post really helpful and as I worked on my outline today it steered me in all the right direction and nudged me into giving my story a little more depth.  The man's a genius.  Really.

In today's post it's all about How Do You Power Through?  I've already answered that by mentioning my colleagues.  How supportive are they?  I'm very lucky because they'll encourage me on a daily basis, ask me how far I am and if I'd reached my goal for the day.  If push comes to shove, I'm sure Elzet will offer to take some of my work and do it herself.  That's the kind of awesome person she is and thoughts like these make me think that I could actually do this.  I've got supportive friends all around me.  Then there are my writing group and twitter friend, my family and friends.  Now I'm even more fired up and just want to get started.

Something makes me think that November will be over way too quickly.

So if you're still in doubt about the worth and amount of time spent writing a novel during NaNoWriMo, go have a read here: "I sold my NaNoWriMo novel!" A Q&A with Rachael Herron

It's possible and that possibility starts in 4 day and 12 hours.  Are you ready.

Lastly I leave you with a link to a short language lesson about May vs Might, it could help you during your NaNo journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment