Monday, November 8, 2010

NaNoWriMo: First Week Roundup


 My words still love me!!!


It has been a really long time since a week has flown by so quickly.  What?  I’ve written over 20 000 words in only seven days?  Surely that can’t be right.  Then I open the word file named Flight and there it is in the bottom left-hand corner.  Yup, at the moment my word count is standing at 20 230.  It might be the biggest load of horse manure ever, but those are words that I wrote and the amount of proud I am at the moment cannot be expressed.  For those of you who are still at it, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

One week and 20k later and I'm still enjoying myself.  I don't even really know why I'm writing this post.  Where I really want to be is somewhere comfortable with my laptop.  But I want to post an update on my NaNo quest once a week for future reference and to post useful links I find scattered around here and there.

What have I learned after writing more than 2k words a day for seven days straight?

1.  I can actually do it!
2.  If by now I haven’t doubted what I've written, I'm doing okay.
3.  I haven't wanted to throw my laptop out the closest window so I'm still good on that front.
4.  I've met so many new people. Go visit their twitter pages, all of them a very encouraging: Grace and Mercedes M. Yardley two of them.
5.  One of the best sources of encouragement are from strangers.

Enough with the listing stuff.  Here are some great links for you.

Maureen Johnson: Your NaNoWriMo Questions Answered.  There are a lot of helpful tips, go have a read.
Writers on the Verge: How To Avoid Failing: NaNoWriMo.  This is a great post when you get stuck.  If that doesn't work, have one of your characters learn something ridiculously stupid about somebody close to them and then have to deal with the consequences.  It introduces a little comic relief.  We all love comic relief.  It always works.
CA Marshall: Friday Five: Advice For Writers - 5 Nov 2010 - NaNoWriMo Edition.  I always love these.  Short but informative.  Go read.

That's it from me until next Monday.  May you all have a very fruitful writing week and reach 25k with most of your sanity in check.  I leave you with a video from the Nerdfighters



Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I envy you the 20k. I'm on 10k which means I'm still in the green zone (barely), but if I miss even 1 day I might be in trouble.
    I read through your blog and enjoyed it a lot! Isn't it funny to write a blog like the whole world will read it, even though you know it's probably just you? Mine's like that, but blogging is just so much fun! (I think it's the writer in me talking). Anyway, I came here because you are on my Nano "Buddies With" list (how did that happen? I'm not sure... but I am glad though :) I'm not sure exactly what writing buddies do, which is why I have not really added anyone. Oh well. Right now I'm suppose to be writing, but it's late and I'm having short-attention-span-syndrome and that always leads to wasting time on the internet... very bad. I'm going to get some hot chocolate and try and get another 1000 words in before 1:00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your enthusiasm is so contagious! I'm falling a little behind on my novel, but I believe the idea is delicious and I'll catch up later. But I love love LOVE your happiness with your novel, and I love that picture! It makes me smile. Thanks for the shout out. I'm so glad that we're new friends! :D

    -Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys, thanks for reading and commenting! I'm so used to getting no response, that I rarely check for them so forgive me if my reply is a little late.

    Elmi,you know exactly what I mean. I'm not very bothered if I don't get any response, like I've said before, this is more for me and to keep track of my own progress, but I love it when I get comments. It's very exciting and humbling to know that somebody took the time to read what I've written.

    I added you to my NaNo buddy list because other people's progress encourages me and I like knowing that I'm not doing this on my own. Neither of the guys in my writer's group are doing it so I'm happy with any camaraderie. Writing buddies encourage and I always have a lot of that to share. If you're on Twitter, it'll be even easier so let me know what your username is and I'll add you. Hope you got that 1k words done. I see you are at 18k and that's awesome. It's more than most of my other buddies so very well done. It'll go even faster when you hit the halfway mark. You can do it.

    Mercedes, I know you'll catch up easily. Life gets in the way but I'm sure it will also give you time to do the writing that is needed for your NaNo novel. I love sharing my enthusiasm with others and I hope it gets them going as well. The picture is filled with awesomeness. I just want to print it out and frame it.

    Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete