Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 Roundup

So as the title suggests, I want to do a short roundup of the big things that happened during 2010.  Luckily I have a blog to help me remember these things.  This is going to be a long one, so excuse the use of space.  Here I go.

2010 Goals
1st of January 2010 I posted a list of things I would like to get done during this year on the old blog.  To be honest with myself, I knew that I wouldn't do a whole lot of them but so it goes. Nobody really ever does everything anyway and I'm not the type of person that cares that much.  I'll mention a few.

*  I finished my first book but, ignorant as I was 12 months ago, I thought that I would have started submitting it by now.  I've learned differently since then and I'm glad that I didn't.  It's important to know when the right time is and this year was definitely not it.  This year was one of writing and rewriting, revising and editing.  I did a lot of all four and think that next year will definitely be the start of something different.  (This goal was for my YA Say It With Feeling.)
*  My second goal was to start a new novel, something totally different and darker.  I did start it and finished it as well.  It's my baby and I love it to death.  At the moment I'm busy with rewrites and edits and hope to send it off for a proper edit sometime in January.  After that, who knows.
*  Drink less Coca-Cola.  Yeah, that didn't happen.
*  There's the usual 'lose weight' thing.  I did drop 4kg in the last couple of months if that counts.  I think it does.
*  I read more books than last year but not as much as I wanted.  Definitely upping the count next year.
*  Threatened to buy another bookshelf and did.  It was my NaNoWriMo reward and very pretty.
*  My goal was to be more tolerant and patient but that also didn't go down so well, especially not with the kind of work I do.  I'm making it another goal for next year.

I'm stopping here, the others aren't worth mentioning.  New year's resolutions aren't something I really believe in.  I'm more a supporter of goals and things to achieve.

Promotion
So roundabout the 17th of January I got official word of my promotion to head proofread in the production department at the newspaper where I work.  Not much to say about the new title, though it makes me sound a whole lot more important and authoritative than I used to.  I've mentioned before that I love my job and the people I work with.  It makes life so much easier.

Say It With Feeling
On the 17th of February I finished my first complete novel.  On the old blog I referred to SIWF as The Project.  It made it sound all awesome and top secret.  Then I named it.  I really liked The Project and was sad to see it go.
  I can't explain the feeling and it is something that only writers with completed works can understand.  I read once somewhere that writing a novel is like raising a child.  Very true words.  More advice I read somewhere along the lines was to put that novel away and let it simmer.  Work on something else and give it time to grow in itself.  I grabbed the opportunity and put it away which was a good thing because at that moment I had a love-hate relationship with it.  It's been a year now and I finally pulled it back out, blew the dust away and started revising again.  I've decided to add a new ending and up the word count somewhat.  Let's see where things go from here.

Black Basement/Loss of Ignorance/The Demons You Know
The beginning of March I started what I'm now calling The Demons You KnowIt took me 5 months and 15 days to write 95k, which isn't to bad, but it still needed a lot of work.  It turned out exactly like I wanted it to but the twists and turns getting there was something else completely.  Unexpected characters, a big turn in the direction the story went etc.  Everything ended fine and I like the ending I have no better than the one I had originally planned.  At the moment I've busy revising and editing it and am about halfway through.

BFF Got Married
Another big event took place in the month of March.  The best friend, Gerda, got married.  We've been friends since I was 21 and we've never had a normal relationship.  Just the way I like it.  There are few things in my life that is normal and I've never had a problem with it.  Having her as my best friend keeps things interesting and I think we complement each other in a weird way.  I think by now her husband accepts me as part of the furniture and I'm lucky to have both of them in my life.  The wedding was something to experience, especially if you saw what went on behind the scenes and how much work went into it.  My sigh of relief when it was over could have blown away a small town.  It was nice and something I will remember for a very long time.

Writer's Group 
In May I became part of a new writer's group.  My two partners in crime are Lood and Dave and have come in very handy over the past couple of months.  It was a good move, though it took a bit of convincing.  It's been a good journey so far.

FIFA 2010
The posts on my old blog made it evident that I am a huge FIFA fan and watched the games religiously, went to the Fan Parks, wore supporter's gear and even blew my Vuvuzela a couple of time.  I had a great time sharing the experience with my coworkers and friends and can't wait for the next one.

NaNoWriMo
Five days before the start of NaNoWriMo, I decided on doing it.  I hadn't been planning on it but had this idea hovering in the back of my mind and thought now would be the perfect time to do it.  It was an idea inspired by one of my favorite animated movies, Howl's Moving Castle.  I enjoyed the entire month and was extremely proud when I hit the 50k mark that made me a winner.  Without a doubt, I will be doing it again next year.

These are all the big things I can think about.  There were a lot of little things: winning a Diana Rowland contest, starting new novels, the new people I've met and so forth, but this post is already too long. 

Next year is going to be exciting and filled with lots of new things.  Look out for special link posts in which I will be giving you links to awesome blog posts I find in my Google reader.  They'll be helpful to you and me.  Also look out for my I-received-another-rejection-for-SIWF posts which will probably start somewhere around February if things go according to plan.

I'm not making a list of goals or things I want to achieve for next year because I want the possibility of anything to be open and very wide ranging.  I'm making them as a go.

Have a good new year and take care of yourselves.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment