Sunday, January 23, 2011

What Keeps Me Busy


I’m writing this post while trying to decide which of my WIPs will be receiving the most of my attention now that the 3rd draft of Loss of Ignorance(it’s been renamed again) has been sent to BFF to be properly edited.  There are a grand total of 4 and although I know I said I was writing Say It With Feeling off, I just can’t get myself to actually do it.  So I thought I would do a post about all my WIPs and something about them like where I am with it, what’s going to happen next or what I intend to do with it.

Say It With Feeling
This was my very first proper attempt at writing a novel, a YA Paranormal.  I’ve written a couple of short stories and started two fantasy (which I obviously never finished) before finally buckling down and writing SIWF.  It will always have a special place in my heart but after I finished it I just didn’t think it good enough and put it aside.  Now I know there’s this general thing floating around that nobody should ever read your first novel but I don’t totally agree with that.  You put in all that time and effort, at least have somebody else look at it before you decide to put it away.  If it’s not good enough, maybe you can use pieces and minor plot points or even a few characters from it for something else.  Anyway, I digress.  I don’t just want to put this one away.  I would rather work on it until I have something that I’m satisfied with.  So I’m planning on taking SIWF and adding a new ending.  It’s what I think is missing.  At the moment it’s standing at 53 000.  I want to add at least another 7k to make it a nice, round 60k.  I already know what needs to happen, I just have to sit down and do it.

Loss of Ignorance (the title has changed but I still love this one)
LOI, my UF, isn’t on the list for consideration because I finished 3rd round revisions yesterday and sent it off for a proper edit, but I wanted to mention it here anyway. The amount of love I have for this story and the main character Leila, cannot be put into words.  96k is a very long road to walk together and the further we went, the more attached we got.  After I get the edits back, I’ll go through it one more time and start getting my query ready and synopsis into shape.  Even if nothing ever comes of it, I want to say that I tried and gave it my best, especially with this one.

Flight
This is my NaNoWriMo novel, a YA fantasy.  In one of my NaNo posts I said that this was a novel that I had stored at the back of my head, something I wanted to write, but was leaving for way later.  When NaNo came around I thought, why not, and wrote it.  I also shoved this one aside as well, didn’t think it was any good, and forgot about it.  But the love of the idea still lingered in the back of my mind and a couple of nights ago I decided that there was no way I was going to let this one go.  So it will receive a major overhaul.  The story will basically stay the same but my main characters will be rewritten, major world building will happen and some much needed descriptions.  It’s standing at 50k and another 20k will have to be added.  I’m looking forward to the challenge that this will be and adding the new ending that just popped into my head.

Unnamed WIP
Wow! The amount of torture I’m putting my main character through in this one is so much fun!  Though I have to say that I’m feeling a little sorry for her.  Maybe I should treat her to something good within the next couple of pages, in fact, I already have a little something planned.  She’ll appreciate it before the crap starts again.  I’m 35k into this one, more than half way through, and still loving it.  My main male turned out to be a coward, this wasn’t planned, and I had to have somebody unexpected step forward.  My MC and the guy don’t really see eye to eye.  This is good. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Changing Faces.
My very shiniest WIP.  About two years ago I wrote a short story for a competition.  The story was cute but very boring.  The theme was Christmas and the short had to be about 1 000 words long.  My couple went hunting for a Christmas tree and it was a fun write.  The hook I had for that story is what fuels this one and the first part’s a little weird but it’s what’s in my head and I’m not going to change it.  At the moment it’s standing at about 9k and I’m definitely planning on finishing this one.

So this is what's taking up my spare time.  About a week ago another idea planted itself firmly in my head and I’m dying to write the story but I can’t until I’m finished with the abovementioned four WIPs.  I know that in a couple of months the idea will start driving me crazy and causing me sleepless nights but I’ll deal with it when I get there.  Now I just have to decide what gets my attention first.  I’m leaning towards Unnamed WIP because it’s the closest to being finished.  If you have any input, please share it.

That’s it for now.  I’ve been slacking off on the writing because of LOI’s revisions but now that it’s done I can get back to the writing.  I’m going to try and get 1 500 to 2 000 words done a day on whatever it is I’m working on.  I want to finish at least novels this year.  Starting tomorrow.  I’m going to give it a shot.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I know, I'm editing my WIP but am itching to dive into something fresh; there's nothing like plotting anew. Good luck, Jani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen! I've decided to finish that unnamed wip of mine and it's going well. After that I'm going to overhaul my NaNoWriMo novel and I'm looking forward to it.

    How far are you with the edits?

    ReplyDelete