Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Progress!! and This is Mike Update

I have to say this: that writing journal is freaking awesome!  Why?  Because it actually works.

I finished my edits for LOI/TDYK yesterday evening and I'm glad to be done.  All that remains now is the edits from other people then I'm dusting my hands. It'll be as good as it can get.  Any more time spent with it will be wasted and there's so much more that I want to do, other things I want to give my fullest attention to.  Like...

Unnamed WIP, the hard-copy edits of which I finished yesterday as well.  In one of my tweets I remarked that there is so much more to fix in the first quarter of the book than the rest.  The rewrites for this one went a whole lot faster than with LOI/TDYK, word count and genre not taken into account, but I think it is because the more a person writes, the better they get at it.

Practice truly does make perfect, not that my stuff will ever be perfect, but it's the thought.  I write my novels right the first time round.  When I talk about first/second draft rewrites, what I really mean is just fixing most of the glaringly obvious typos, adding to descriptions and things I missed, and just generally making sure that everything makes sense.  I'm one of those people that like doing thing as thoroughly as possible the first time, and the same goes with my novels.  I like getting things done now.  Sometimes I wonder how quickly I would be able to produce a first draft if I didn't work full time.

I'm going to start transferring the hard-copy edit to my soft copy this week/weekend and I'm looking forward to getting it done.  When that's finished, I'll wait for my crit partner to return edits he's doing on the UF, he's awesome like that, then I'll send him the YA to read and give an opinion and thoughts on.  It's exciting and scary at the same time but needs to be done.  We covered a writer's support over at Writers in Training this week and what I said is true. I would be lost without my support system.

Anyway, that's where I am with my writing at the moment. Lots and lots of editing and rewriting.  Now that the UF is finished and the YA is being fixed, I can finally get back to proper writing.  That unmoving progress bar on the left called Changing Faces has been taunting me for weeks and my characters are shouting at me to get their story told.  Since I kind of like my sanity a little, I'll have to get started on that, but it's something I'll save for another post.

Last but definitely not least, This is Mike.  Piece 5 was added earlier tonight.  I'm loving Mike so much right now.  The guy is crazier than I originally thought he was and I'm sure that Shana is in for a very interesting time.  Things have been lighthearted in the first couple of pieces but are about to take a whole different turn.  I'm already rubbing my hands together in anticipation.  Two weeks from now I'll turn things in another direction and I hope that whomever reads it, likes and approves of it.  Mike and Shana have more in common than they think.

That's it for now.  I need to go pack for tomorrow's Caxton Excellence Awards.  I'm wearing a dress thing with leggings.  Again.  I rarely wear dresses.  Maybe I'll post some pics, I'll be taking lots.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment