Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crazy Times, I Swear


Hey guys.

It’s time for my halfway post.  I can’t believe I got here so quickly, and passed the mark, it felt like I started writing Denizens only a couple of weeks ago.  I have to admit that taking part in Kaz Mahoney’s Spring Into Summer (SIS) 50k Writing Challenge really helped.  So far I’ve added more than 29 000 words because of it and everything is still going well.  Except for one small glitch.

Okay, it’s a massive glitch and I’m cringing right now as I think about it and the work I made for myself. I’m eating chocolate while I’m typing this and will then spend time on my elliptical.  Don’t look at me that way, it helps.

I started writing Denizens with the intention of having it be an Urban Fantasy straight out.  Yeah, that.  But as I read through what I have so far it became more and more apparent that the voice is YA.  I’ve tried denying it, overlooking the problem but this morning I finally gave in and admitted defeat.  This story wants to be YA, there’s no help for it.  The best I can do right now is to finish it and then start fixing things when rewrites come.  I’ve already got seven other things that need to change/be added so this will definitely be a proper rewrite and not just fixing what doesn't work.

The rewrite is going to be a kicker and I’m really looking forward to it.  Fixing it will be like untangling a mess of twine big enough to fill a car.  A lot of characters will have to get an age change.  My main character’s back story needs to be adjusted and more characters added.  It's going to be hectically awesome.  Just saying.

In other news, I started submitting my UF and received a few rejections(2 so far, don't tell) but I'm only getting started.  I've also been asked to submit my YA manuscript, a synopsis and query letter to an agent thanks to a fantastic Query Tracker contest that I didn't win.  But she liked my first page so I'll be sending those through by the Monday at the latest.  I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm disgustingly realistic, but it helps knowing that there is interest.  The least I can hope for is some feedback, positive or negative.  Enter contests, it helps.  You can read the final details and the entries of those who won here:  May YA Contest Winners! Congrats to the winners, those are some fantastic entries.

Other than that, winter is in full swing here which makes writing so much easier.  How does anybody concentrate in the summer?  Sorry for being so quiet, I'll try and be more active. 

Back to try and work on Kaz's challenge.  Hope you all have been more productive in your writing this week than I have.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment