Monday, June 27, 2011

On Being a Denizen, I Want To Be One

It is with extreme joy and sadness that I post my annual 'I finished a novel' blog entry.  The joy is for going all the way.  The sadness is that it's over.  There is so much more to explore in this story, so much potential, something the others I've written just doesn't have.  Don't get me wrong, I love my other novels, the rock like nobody's business, but this one. I don't know, it's special because finally I've written something that isn't prevalent.  This one will ultimately be a YA Urban Fantasy and I love the fact that my character isn't any of the common supernatural entities, or even anything close to it.  The story is ultimately about her getting away from her past, making up for what's she's done, but also hiding who she from the new people in her life and keeping what she really is to herself.  Which doesn't turn out so well.  You can't escape what you're meant to be.  I really love this one.

I started writing Denizens on the 23rd of April and finished it on the 25th of June, give or take a few.  Wow, I think this is a new personal record.  Two months and two days?  Really?  Seriously, that can't be right.  But there it is, the evidence.  I'll admit that halfway through it I decided to switch it from being a straight forward Urban Fantasy to a YA Urban Fantasy, but it still totaled at 71 000 words.  I'm a little astounded and know that the work ahead will be a lot, but it will be worth it.  To be honest, I don't think I would have finished it this quickly without Kaz Mahoney's SIS50k Writing Challenge which I completed successfully.  So thanks for that Kaz.

So now I'm leaving it for a month or two, hopefully until December if I can last that long, and focusing on the other writing things I've got going on at the moment.  At the moment I'm going through my YA She Knows Death one more time, just fixing the small things I've missed.  I'll also be going through the synopsis to try and shorten it some more.  When that's done, I'm returning to my UF which needs a new first chapter, a second last chapter rewritten, and some minor things changed in the beginning.  After that I plan on tackling my NaNoWriMo novel, Flight, from last year.  It's a YA fantasy(I like calling it a fairytale because that's the feel it has) that I finished at 50 000 words.  Since YA fantasy can go up to 100k I've decided to add another main character and thread her story in there as well.  It's a little bit daunting because Sora's(my MC) story is already told.  With the new thread I have to make sure everything matches up.  I know the whole thing will basically have to be rewritten but I've already got half of the story so it doesn't look so bad from where I'm sitting at the moment.  I'm pretty sure I won't feel this way when I get started but that's still a while away.

While doing all of this I want to start planning this year's NaNoWriMo novel so that there aren't any snags.  Changing Faces needs to be rewritten completely, the first 8k I have of it, so that's what I'm planning on doing.  I might even plan chapters, though I'm a pantser so the chance of that actually working is somewhat on the no-chance-in-hell side.

Lastly I really want to catch up on my reading.  I've been slacking and feeling it.  This is the immediate list which I hope will get me back on track with my Goodreads Challenge number.

JR Ward - Lover Unleashed
Richelle Mead - Iron Crowned
Karen Mahoney - The Iron Witch
Jaye Wells - Green-Eyed Demon
Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games
                          Catching Fire
                          Mocking Jay
Beth Revis - Across the Universe
Brenna Yovanoff - The Replacements
Kiersten White - Paranormalcy
Lauren Oliver - Delirium

Uhm, that's it for the moment.  I think this post long enough.  Hope you all are doing well in your writing.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment