Sunday, July 3, 2011

That Deadline/Schedule Thing

For me that’s never going to happen.  At least not in a day-to-day scenario. (Let’s hear it for the short post this will actually be.  I’m so proud.)  Long-term deadlines, no problem, I'll always be ahead because I write, edit, rewrite to get ahead for in case stuff happens.  Stuff like:  Life.  It happens and there’s nothing you can do about it.  Kids get sick.  The car breaks.  You have to work overtime and just can’t concentrate enough to write even a few decent words when you get home.  The much-needed social calls, buying food because there’s nothing in the cupboard.  Worst of all, there’s a book sale followed by a movie you really, really want to see.  You get the idea.

If you’re lucky enough to be able to set aside a piece of your day specifically for writing, there are a lot of people who envy you, me included.  I write whenever I have the time.  Luckily that happens to be often.  I think that I write a good half of my first drafts at work, between work.  I like deadlines, it spurs me on, and I like working towards it and trying to beat it.  If I get my work done before deadline, I win.  It's a good way to look at it.

The only suggestion I can make when you do find the time, and this has been said by just about everyone, is switch the internet off, get your butt in a chair, and write.  A do-no-disturb sign might help as well. That’s it.  If you have the time, no matter when, write.  Every little bit helps.

Now what are you still doing here?  Shouldn’t you be writing?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment