Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Camp NaNo, Flight, Denizens, Ladies Who Critique and my TBR

Darn it. Today I decided on putting Flight on hold until next year.  I'm only about 23k away from finishing it but after watching a post on failure/success at WriteOnCon I knew that it was the right thing to do.  To be honest I'm a little sad but also greatly relieved because I lost a little momentum.  Although I know exactly what's supposed to happen next, I've kind of been distracted by something else.

Denizens!

 
Yup.  This has been bothering me for a while now but in a good way.  I wanted to let it sit a while, stew in my brain juices, but enough. Enough!  I'm starting rewrites tomorrow and I'm so happy about that.  I already have a list of 15 things that need to change and I haven't even started yet but goodness my hands are shaking with the excitement of finally getting to it.

So what's your take on Ladies Who Critique? I love it!  I've met some awesome people and I've already sent out two of my manuscripts.  The YA went to Tracy Rohlfing and Ladonna Watkins.  If not for LWC we wouldn't have met.  The best part is I'll get an honest opinion from them and they don't have to worry about offending me because we don't even live on the same continent.  That and I know how to take criticism.  I want to know what's wrong so I can fix it.  (Damn the continent thing, now I can't TP their houses if I don't agree with what they say)  I'm kidding.  I sent the UF to Kate Hawkings and I'm glad to be getting a female's view on it.  I'm looking forward to the critiques, no matter what they bring.

My TBR pile is coming along pretty nicely.

JR Ward - Lover Unleashed
Richelle Mead - Iron Crowned
Karen Mahoney - The Iron Witch
Jaye Wells - Green-Eyed Demon
Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games
                           Catching Fire
                           Mockingjay
Sherrilyn Kenyon - Kiss of the Night
                            Night Play
                            Seize the Night
Brenna Yovanoff - The Replacements
Kiersten White - Paranormalcy
Lauren Oliver - Delirium
Gena Showalter - The Darkest Secret
Veronica Roth - Divergent
Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur - Is it just me or is everything shit?
Beth Revis - Across the Universe

That's it for now.  What are you reading and where are you with your writing?

14 comments:

  1. It is hard to put something aside--but I always do that if I'm excited about working on something else. That is one of the perks of being a non-published author without looming deadlines.

    I'm loving Ladies Who Critique too! I haven't exchanged with anyone yet, but I've connected up with one of my crit partner's readers--so that is fairly cool.

    I'm debating what to read next. I just finished The Secret to Lying, which I enjoyed. I'm looking for more books from a male's POV, but I also want to read the second book in the Nightshade series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, the best thing about putting something aside is that you can always go back to it. It's nice to always have something to fall back on. I'm just not a fan of stopping in the middle of a challenge but it's not the end of the world.

    I've met some wonderful people at LWC as well. If you ever need a reader, my schedule's open, just drop me a comment, tweet or email.

    I still need to start with the Nightshade series, it sounds pretty awesome. Until I get my hands on it, I've luckily got plenty to keep me busy. Who's the author of The Secret to Lying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd Mitchell. I'm taking a class from him on plotting a novel this weekend, which I am overly excited about! I've met him a few times at book signings and what not, as he is as funny and unique as his characters. I don't generally read contemporary YA, but I really enjoyed his novel. And I hope to suck up a lot of awesome learning from him this weekend.

    I'm a little ways out from sending out anything to be critiqued--my alpha hasn't even see my current draft yet. But let's keep in touch! And I'd be happy to do some reading for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you're done with his class, blog about it, I'd be interested in what you learned. I wish we had more signings here so I'm jealous of you guys in that regard.

    We'll definitely keep in touch. Now that you mention it(not like I've been hinting or anything) I've got something that would like to be read. What do you prefer, YA Paranormal or UF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Replacement was very good, I really enjoyed it. Have you heard of ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake? I haven't read it yet but it has this cool horror-vibe that really entices me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I should be finsihed with my critique by next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madison, I'm looking forward to getting started with The Replacements but I'm forcing myself to stick to my list. Its hard :)

    Ladonna, no hurry but thanks! I'm more interested to hear what's wrong with it so that I know what to fix. I'm also curious to get a honest opinion about it. I have my reservations but like it said, I want to give it the best shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I up for either! Genre never really pulls me one way or the other--it's the characters I enjoy. So base it on what you prefer to have critiqued.

    Send me an email--- hwindmiller (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh....and I am going camping--leaving today, and I won't be back until Monday--so if you don't get any response from me until then, that is why!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Heidi! I'll send you the UF because I need another set of eyes on it. Enjoy the camping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Ladies Who Critique! I've met so many awesome people there in such a short amount of time =)

    And yay you for having the courage and strength to get started on rewrites! I know how daunting they can be; I personally hate revising. It is nice when you have awesome critique partners to guide you, though, so you don't feel like you're doing nothing BUT going in circles. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Stefanie! I usually love my novels until I have to go through them for the 7th time. It's then that I start thinking all kinds of things are wrong with it. Writing it is my favorite. The rewrites my second favorite because it's reading the complete story for the first time.

    I really believe that without critique partners you can only do so much with your work. You'll keep missing things because you're so used to it that it doesn't seem wrong at all. And that's what I really need, somebody to tell me where I'm going wrong. Ladies Who Critiqued gave me people to do that and I can't tell you how grateful I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you post the link for that success/failure thing from WriteOnCon? I tried to find it but no luck, and now I'm curious to read it.

    I like Ladies Who Critique. I haven't swapped anything yet, but this kind of site is exactly what I was looking for!

    (Also, I don't know if you're reading your TBR list in order, but if not, go with Kiersten White's Paranormalcy next. It's fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen.

    Here's the link: http://writeoncon.com/2011/08/dont-give-up-by-author-beth-revis/

    Ladies Who Critique has done a lot for me. I sent out a manuscript to somebody I met there and already have it back with some wonderful notes. It's truly my find of the year.

    I'm trying very hard to stay in the order that they are. I've got three Karen Marie Moning books waiting to be read, just noticed I have to add the to the list, but I'm looking forward to Paranormalcy. I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete