Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book Haul/Looting, Contest Reminder, Award, and Reading Something That Disappointed Me

Book Haul

All the craziness of the week and weekend aside, Saturday morning I went to the Exclusive Books warehouse sale.  There are few things I like better than book sales, and yes, I'll be the first to admit that I don't always get to read all the sale books I buy.  But I like looking at them and they're all so shiny and pretty and stuff.  So yeah, I know most of you know what I'm talking about.

Here's a pic of what I got.


Let's get down to business. Here' the list of what I got over the weekend:

Defiance - Lili St. Crow (this is my only non-sale purchase)
Blood Trinity - Sherrilyn Kenyon & Diana Love
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
Valiant - Holly Black
Angel Monster - Veronica Bennett
Romeo  and Juliet - William Shakespeare (a very battered copy but a good find)
Red is for Remembrance - Laurie Faria Stolarz
The Black Tattoo - Sam Enthoven (Have you guys seen this book? Front cover white, open it and you get the darker on with the city in the background.  Inside the author's name runs down each of the left-hand pages and the book's name down the right-side page. I think this is going to be an extremely weird book and I look forward to it. How awesome is that!) 
 
The Society of S - Susan Hubbard
Darkwood - M.E.Breen (Another book I bought for the cover alone.)
Newes from the Dead - Mary Hooper
Prophecy of the Sisters - Michelle Zink
They Bite: Endless Cravings of Supernatural Predators - Jonathan Maberry & David F. Kramer (Such a good find)
The Monsterologist - Bobbi Katz & Adam McCauley
Pirate Code Writing Kit (got this because I can't leave a sale without something pirate related. It's still wrapped in plastic and I'll keep it that way)

That's it. A good 15 book over the weekend and there's some pretty decent stuff as well.  Now comes the task of find somewhere to put them.  Good thing we'll have a room open in the house soon. Might turn it into a reading room. Still deciding but how cool would that be...

Contest reminder

The short version:  My dog went missing. I made a lot of flyers to stuff into postboxes. We found him before I could do that.  Now I have no idea what to do with them and want you to tell me.  The prize, because I'm a starving artist, is a post of your choice here on my blog.  Call it a word-of-mouth prize.You can post about anything from writing, ladybirds, pointy objects or about your wip. Whatever. Go tell me what I should do with 81 missing-dog flyers.

Blog award

The very awesome Jess over at Write. Skate. Dream awarded me the Versatile Blogger and One Lovely Blog awards.  I've already received the Versatile Blogger one but not the other one, so thank you for that!


I'm giving this award to the following people:

If you've already received this award, awesome, you get it again.

Disappointed Jani is disappointed

I am.  Wanna know why?  It pains me to say this, and maybe I shouldn't.  But sometimes I feel that published authors underestimate us aspiring ones.  I get the feeling that they sometimes they think we have no idea what it takes to be a published author and the type of work it takes to be one and to keep on being one.

Most of us work full time and write when we get home.  We know what kind of work it takes.  We know.

What brought this about?  Well, NaNo starts next month and all kinds of author comments are popping up.  Things like, aspiring authors should know that it's NaNoWriMo all year long for the published. It's NaNoWriLife. But in a slightly condescending tone.

What makes this worse for me is that it comes from authors I respect.  I get that agents are frustrated starting December, I would be too, but the authors I don't get. You'd think that they would be supportive with wise, encouraging words.  Something along the lines of 'This is your first draft and isn't supposed to be good or ready to be seen by anybody by the end of November. NaNo is a good way to get it out of the way.  After that you start fixing it'. You get what I'm saying.

Of course there are authors that support it, some even participate, and I respect them all the more for that.

When we aspiring authors set out to write a book, I hope, all of us know what we're getting ourselves into.  A little credit would be nice.  I still respect the authors that make these comments and will continue reading their work but... I'm disappointed.

That's my piece of nothing.

Have a good Sunday

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog award! Nice pressie for a Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love new books; their crisp freshness but I love used books too. They have history. Old dog-eared pages and creased spines show the love someone else had for them before they were mine. You know, the rejectionist had a blog post where they'd been to the goodwill and bought a stack of books in one of them was a love note to the next owner, telling them why they'd bought the book, what was going on in their lives at the time and what they thought of it... pretty cool.

    Also, I have picked up on some of this condescending Nano tone from published authors that you speak of. And no, it's not right.I hope they haven't forgotten what it's like to be where we are ~ they shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeni.
    First, thanks for the blog love!!
    Second, I read that about NaNoWriMo too, the NaNoWriLife ... and you know what. We should ignore it.
    Some people (or authors) let the success go up their head ... and others just don't realize the impact of what they are saying ...
    Just ignore it. You know what it means to you, you know you won't write shit and dumb it over an agent desk ...
    Put on your NaNoWriMo face and press the off button when others talk about it ;)
    That's my 2 cents ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. MC, it's a pleasure.

    Tracy, I feel the same about them. I would like to do that someday to one of my books and would love to find a note like that. What a great idea it was, thanks for sharing the story.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. It doesn't make me angry, just sad. I hope the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juliana, I completely agree. It's true what you said, they don't know the kind of impact they have. This happened last year as well, only on a bit of a little bit of a bigger scale. But ignored and wrote and won. I love doing NaNo and no matter what who says, I won't let it change it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much :D (I still think you should make a paper mache dog out of the flyers :D)

    I like the point that for aspiring authors you have to realize that it's NaNoWriLife and not just for one month.

    I've taken their comments to be directed towards those who aren't serious about it and just give it a go - thinking they're going to write the great novel and get a book and movie deal - because it's just so easy to write a novel you see.

    As much as we might like to think NaNo is largely completed by serious writers? I have a friend who 'completes' it every year. She does this by typing her current shopping list into the text when she can't think of anything to write, or reminding herself of stuff she has to do inside of the novel limits.

    So while I don't agree with NaNoWriLife beind said in a consdescending manner, I also know not everyone has serious writer intentions behind their NaNo efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KT, what you say makes total sense. Unfortunately, sometimes those who take it seriously are placed under the same umbrella as those who don't. If you're going to make a condescending remark towards those who don't take it seriously, level it out with one that supports it. Generalizing just doesn't cut.

    That's the great thing about Nano. You can take it seriously, or you don't have to. I see it as a convenient, fun way to get the first draft out of the way while meeting other writer.

    Let's keep the debate going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jani, thank you so much for the award :):)

    I haven't seen any of the Nano comments, but I'm a pubbed author and I have great admiration for all you guys that do Nano. I attempted it once a few years ago, and every year I consider doing it, but I'm such a slow writer that it just ends up despressing me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Claire. It's a pleasure. I appreciate that you comment on so many of my posts.

    There aren't that many comments, I've seen one or two, and that's only because I was online at the right/wrong time. It's nice to hear a comment like this from a pubbed authors, so thank you for that.

    At the end of the day I think NaNo is a different experience for everybody. Everybody should keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on Nano. Doesn't matter if you've published none or 100 books you should always support other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the award Jani!

    I think the NaNo thing is about all those people who 'do' nano but don't write the rest of the year (and still think they'll produce a great work of art). I was encouraged by the list on the nano site of pubbed books which were drafted as nano novels. I'm doing it for the first time this year and will look for you over there once the buddies bit is up again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off - thank you for the award! :) That's one that I haven't received before.

    And as for NaNo - I agree with you. We DO get it. We know how much work it takes. Maybe not everyone who is doing NaNo, but the majority of us know. We work our butts off trying to get something written and polished and published all while working the day job and taking care of family. It would be nice if some of them remembered what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Craig, so true. It's all about support for us. We writers should stick together.

    Beth, it's a pleasure. That list is a great motivation and a very good in-you-face for those who think Nano is a waste of time. I look forward to doing Nano with you and the rest of my writer friend.

    Rebecca, YES! Thank you for confirming that we get do it. Not all of them look down their noses, just one or two, and that's okay. I'm just about over my annoyance. Posting about it has really helped. I like getting different views about things like this.

    ReplyDelete