Monday, October 31, 2011

My One Bit Of NaNoWriMo Advice + Contest Alert

So let's get straight down to it. My one piece of NaNo advice is pretty simple:

Get as much written as possible in the first week.

Because we know that later in the month things will pop up to keep us from getting the words that we need written. My US friends have turkey day coming up somewhere during the month, right? Writer's block. You know what I'm talking about. I suggest aiming for a target of at least 2k a day for the first week. It'll give you some breathing room later in the month.

If you have time for some last minute reads, here are some of my posts from last year with great links etc. I started writing a YA Fantasy that's not quite done yet but I'm definitely planning on finishing it sometime next year.  Just start at the bottom and work your way up if you're going to take the time.

My NaNoWriMo 2010 and Flight (the YA Fantasy) all includes my NaNo experience and links to great posts.

Find me at the site if we aren't already friends.

Contest Alert

Rachel McClellan has a fantastic contest going on at her blog.

The details:  October Writing Contest

"October is my favorite month of the year, and the only way I could think to make it better was to hold a contest. And this one’s a doozy. It will be judged by the wonderful Angie Workman, Cedar Forts Acquisitions Editor. Get to know her here, including the types of books (pretty much everything) Cedar Fort is looking for.

Angie is asking for your first chapter (up to seven pages). She will review all chapters and select a winner. The winner will receive a full manuscript submission, and I will be giving additional prizes for second and third place winners.

In addition to your first chapter, I am asking for your most favorite scene from your manuscript, up to 300 words. One day your manuscript will be published and we will all be able to look back and remember when we were lucky enough to read the awesomeness of your novel."

Go read the rules and enter! Deadline is tomorrow so you better get to it.

That's it for now.  I'll be pounding out my first few hundred words between 00:00 and 01:00 because I know that I won't be able to sleep if I don't. 

Let the madness begin.

 

5 comments:

  1. Hehe, I like that picture =) I think that goes for writing in general, not just NaNoWriMo! We're all mad here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefanie, Jess. I'm the biggest fan of NaNo. We all need a little crazy in our life. Writers more so than others. Good luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete