Friday, November 4, 2011

4 days into NaNo madness and we're still kicking

Relatively speaking

According to the site we should all be at 6 666 words, and I hope all of you are.  Here's what my stats look like at the moment:


#NaNoCheckIn has done wonders for my word count and I cannot thank my fellow twitter writers enough for joining me in this.  You guys make the writing so much easier, and a lot more fun. Not that I don't have fun torturing my characters, I do, it's the highlight of my day, but you guys make it better.

Confession time.  Although I'm way ahead of schedule right now, I'm having a hard time getting the words down.  Well I had issues.  I finally figure out why.

I need to have something big happen in every single chapter I write.  It doesn't have to be major, earth shaking big.  It just needs to be something I consider big.  And I haven't had that.  I've been writing to get the words down and my word count up.  I don't like doing that.  NaNo or not, I don't write crappy first drafts. Language wise this draft is fine, writing wise, not so much.  Too much babbling.  That's the problem I have, too much babbling.  Today I stopped my babbling.  I'm going to have to rewrite a lot of the first three chapters but that's exactly why rewrites exist, to fix these little messes.

Like the graph above shows, I need to write about 1100 words to make my daily 2k count.  The fun is really about to start now that I have most of my world building and setting out of the way.  Maybe the babbling was necessary, who knows how I'll feel when I reread this next year.  I'll do that right now, no babbling, read some, then veg out on my bed watching TV until two.  Just because I can.

How are all of you doing?

6 comments:

  1. I'm working toward that number - darn interruptions are trying to foil me. I keep getting stuck too and having to work my way out of it. Good luck! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I getting there. Life is getting in the way. I love your energy and commitment it makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda. I didn't have any of these issues last year. Guess that's why that novel is still in one or my drawers.

    Ladonna, I love doing this and glad that it helps all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your chart! I'm too lazy/busy/lame to make one of my own (still waiting for the widget!). But you're doing awesome... *runs off to write*

    ReplyDelete
  5. #NaNoCheckIn was a great idea! I love it!

    I'm a feeling a little slow now, b/c I'ml osing interest in my story ... I guess my outline was too detailed, more than usual (I had a whole week to work on it!! too much!), but I'll push through, bc I like the story, bc only writing makes us better writing. If this MS doesn't work after it's done and revised, well, at least is one more that helped me on my path ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in NaNo in spirit. Can't start a new project. I just finished the 50k mark from my novel from last year! http://www.cliftonh.com/2011/11/no-nano-im-busy.html

    I'm falling behind in my wordcount, but not too far off. Hope I can catch up. Write on!

    ReplyDelete