Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011 Roundup - Highlights/What I Remember Most

I did this at the end of last year, and now that I look at that post, I can only smile and nod my head.  So I'll do another one, and the end of 2012 I'll come back, smile and nod my head again.  This is going to be an extremely long post and I don't expect you to read everything. So to make things easier, I've added headings. 

The year that was, in no particular order: 

Sherrilyn Kenyon's RWA Keynote Speech
I think not being at RWA to listen to this speech in person will be what I'll be sad about for a long time.  Not that I could have done anything to have been there, I live on a different continent, but still.  So I found the best substitute.  Sherrilyn posted it on her facebook and I copied it to my blog so that I would have it close at hand whenever this writing thing got me down.  It's the best motivator I'll ever have.  If you, for some ridiculous, haven't read this yet... UGH! What are you waiting for. Go!  Sherrilyn Kenyon's RWA Keynote Speech. 

Say It With Feeling
In April I officially decided to pack away this novel.  It was the first one I'd ever writen and the story and characters still have a special place. I have mixed feelings about this one, to be honest.  I wrote it, put it aside, worked on something different, went back to it, and realized what a terrible, terrible story it was.  It wasn't a wasted effort, I learned a lot by writing it.  But it still pops up every now and then, begging me to work on it.  A while ago I blogged about finally giving up on it and putting it in the back of my drawer, but you know... Sometimes I still wonder.  But this year I decided it was time to let go. A tear might have been shed but there are no confirmed reports.

Karen Marie Moning
This is my series of the year. It just had all the right things combined in a different way, that kept me on edge every time I picked it up.  I haven't read the last book yet because I don't want it to end. How long will I be able to leave it be?  Don't know.  I love it so much I wrote Karen a fan letter that I posted on my blog.  It's not finished yet because I'm not done with the series, but I'll update it the day I'm done. Dear Author: Karen Marie Moning.

She Knows Death
I can't remember when I started writing this one, might be near the end of 2010 or beginning 2011(I think I found a blog post that said I finished it 15 February, so let's go with that). Clearly I don't keep a decent account of when I write my stories.  This is a very personal novel for me and have gone through so many edits and a few rewrites too.  I'm still deciding what I want to do with it.  It's as finished and ready as it will ever be but at the moment it's sitting safe and sound in a folder.  I might think about submitting it. I might not.  Let's see what I feel like next year.

American Horror Story
My twitter bio says that I love corny scary movies. I do. They make my life so much more enjoyable.  I also like serious scary movies, even more than the corny ones.  So when I found out about AHS, a series that I could look forward to each week... Let's just say I was ecstatic!  Such a good show, I enjoyed ever minute of it. And what made it so much better?  The twisted that was Tate.  My favorite character by far.  That Evan Peters is so very pretty definitely helped, I won't even lie about that.  And I want the tshirt he's wearing.  Where can I get one?  I'm looking forward to the next season.  New characters, new setting, new story. It can only get better.

Denizens
This novel. This. I started it at the end of April and it was the quickest one I've ever written. I love it, and it's the novel I'm busy editing before sending it to my CPs so they can tell me all the different kinds of wrong that is with it.  But that's okay, I want them to because I know that it'll only make my story better. Oh yeah, there was also the thing about starting this novel out as an adult one and not YA. My characters didn't agree and in the rewrites I had to fix this. *headdesk*

Kaz Mahoney's Writing Challenge
In May Kaz hosted a Spring Into Summer (SIS) 50k Writing Challenge which I decided to participate in.  I'm really glad I did because I already had 20k on Denizens and needed another 50k to finish it, and I did.  It was the push I needed and it forced me to write at least 1k a day for 50 days.  It was so worth the time.

Goodreads Challenge
My target is to read 50 books by the end of the year.  I was well on track but somewhere during the year I went through a reading slump and I fell terribly behind. During NaNo I also didn't read as much as I would have like.  As things stand I'm 1 book away from my 50 target.  I've been reading a boatload of M&B books to catch up and I'm so close. I'll hopefully be done by the Wednesday.  I've read some truly great books this year and I'm looking forward to what I'll be digging into next year.  If you want to see a list of what I've read this year, there's a new page on the right beneath the NaNo winner's badge.  Or you could go here:  2011 Reads.  I'll add a page for 2012 as soon as can find where I hid my motivation.

NaNoWriMo
I had a great time with NaNo this year.  This time around my experience was more of a roller coaster than last year's but I still enjoyed myself immensely.  I'm still not done with the one I started.  Unfortunately/fortunately some things got in the way, but I'll pick it up again at the end of January.

Ladies Who Critique
I want to go on and on and on about Ladies Who Critique but it'll be easier for me to link you to one of my posts.  I'm also doing a guest post at LWC with the three CPs I found there, Tracy, Ladonna, and Juliana, so it's something fun to look forward to.  I'll link it when it's up. 

Rachael Harrie's Third Writers' Platform-Building Campaign
Wow. I went from having 11 blog followers to 70+ in a matter of weeks.  Best thing of all, each and every one of them is a writer of some kinds.  It was fantastic and I met some really great people.  There were lots of fun activities and writing contests as part of the campaigned and it's also a great way to get info and feed back.  I'll definitely be doing it again next year and I'm so looking forward to it.

Kings of Leon
Ah KOL, how I love you guys.  You tortured us with the whole setting-a-date-then-postponing-it-for-months thing, but the wait was worth it.  The show was fantastic.  The entire evening threatened rain but it only started dripping as they played the last three or four songs. It was like the gods were smiling down at us.

Flight
I wrote this novel during last year's NaNoWriMo. It's a YA fantasy and only stood at 50 100 words. I didn't want to let this one go so I decided to add another main character with her own storyline.  The two meet up in the end. I love how my two main characters are so different and have two such contrasting goals.  It's still not done and I can't wait until I find the time to write the last 20k of this novel.  The first 27k of the second half of Flight was done during Camp NaNoWriMo. This one is staying true to its roots.

Donald Maass's Writing prompts
These prompts are awesome. Awesome!  I've been hoarding them so that I can use them whenever I'm busy with a WIP.  Here's a link to the post where I keep them all.  I've updated it today so enjoy!  Writing Prompts: Save a Life Or Makes it More Difficult. It's Part of the Fun.


That's about it.  All the big things.  Mentioning the smaller ones would take up too much space and, to be honest, I'm lazy.  You won't read it anyway ;)  Let's see what the new year holds in store for us.

Have a fantastic week. I'll see you on the other side!

No comments: