Sunday, January 15, 2012

Contests Galore!

Good morning/afternoon/evening everybody.

It's the beginning of a new year which also just so happens to mean that there are a boatload of contest floating around Twitter and the blogs. If I take a rough count of how many I know of, a total of six comes to mind.  SIX CONTESTS! All with various writing prizes, be it line edits, a query critique, a pitch contest, etc.

I decided I'd list them for those of you who happen to miss the tweets. I'm only listing the basics of the contests as stated in the original entry. PLEASE go read the rest of the information.  So here we go, in deadline order:


Agent NatalieFischer Lakosil from the Bradford Literary Agency will be judging our next contest, which opens at 9 am EST on Monday, January 30th.

This contest is open to the following genres:
Commercial fiction, with an emphasis in children’s literature (from picture book to teen), romance (contemporary, paranormal and historical), and upmarket women’s fiction. Specific likes within those genres include historical, multi-cultural, paranormal, sci-fi/fantasy, gritty, thrilling and darker contemporary novels, and middle grade with heart.
 
Ms. Lakosil wants to see the first 100 words (plus or minus 1/2 sentence--don't just cut it off mid sentence) of COMPLETED novels and a one sentence logline. There is a limit to only ONE entry. 
Deadline: There's no official deadline stated(except if I missed it, which is possible) but entries open on 30 January. Post it then just to be on the safe side. Important, you have to be a member of QueryTracker. It's free btw.

Are you an author who needs a little more help when it comes to gerund phrases and commas? Do you slip up with your tenses from time to time? You may be heavy on adjectives, "ly" adverbs, or crawler words like very, and you have no idea. I will know it and, if you win this contest, I’ll point out every single thing to you. Yes, line edits for your entire manuscript. I’m a newspaper editor and, in the past few years, it’s transferred well to the literary world.
Deadline: 31 January

The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award brings together talented writers, reviewers, and publishing experts to find and develop new voices in fiction. The 2012 international contest will award two grand prizes: one for General Fiction and one for Young Adult Fiction. Each winner will receive a publishing contract with Penguin, which includes a $15,000 advance.
Deadline: Open submissions for manuscripts will begin on January 23, 2012 and run through February 5, 2012. If you're an author with an unpublished or previously self-published novel waiting to be discovered, visit CreateSpace to sign up for regular contest updates.

To celebrate the publication of QUERY, I'm going to do a QUERY-palooza the week of February 6th-10th. I will be randomly choosing 5 queries from those submitted. If I receive more than 50 entries, I will choose 10 queries so feel free to spread the word! Each query will receive an in-depth critique and will be posted either on my blog (Tues-Fri), or as my monthly column at Romance University (Mon).

So, want to win a free query critique? To enter, simply fill out the form below(C.J.'s website). I will use random.org to choose which queries receive a critique. Please note that I will be copying and pasting the query exactly as you type it, so if you want your name or title redacted, please do so. :
Deadline: February 6th-10th

All you need to do to enter is put your name, the name and genre of your ms and your email address in the comments section below(Ruth's blog).  I'll choose a winner, or maybe two, from the list and critique the hell out of your query. And like my other contest, I'm not going to insist you follow my blog to enter, but it's appreciated if you do. I'm not going to insist that you tweet about it either, but it's cool if you do.
Deadline: Today is the last day to enter! Go! Go! Go!

Book giveaway:
Karen Mahoney: The Wood Queen ~ Australian edition giveaway! Not a writing contest, but I love Kaz and really like The Iron Witch. Plus the cover of the Australian The Wood Queen is so pretty!
So, my Australian copies of The Wood Queen arrived today – they’re so pretty! It’s also the earliest I’ve ever received author copies, as the book doesn’t release until next month. With that in mind, I’d love to give you a chance to get your hands on Donna’s second adventure a little early. There will be THREE (3) prizes, and all are open to anybody in the world.
Deadline: Today! 

Brenda Drake's Can You Hit A Perfect Pitch? Blog contest with agent Ammi-Joan Paquette 
Can you hit a perfect pitch for your Young Adult or Middle Grade manuscripts to agent Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency? This is a great opportunity to get your work in front of her since she's closed to submissions. Also, you'd be lucky to have her as your agent. She's always been so kind during our communications. You can read all about Joan here or here or here.
Deadline: Officially, it starts today! Agent judging starts the 17th. Go sign up and post.

Agents have been announced on Twitter, and I'm pleased to officially welcome my very first agents to the blog:
Vickie Motter! Learn more about her and her interests here and here. And her Twitter.
John Cusick! Learn more about him and his interests here and here. And his Twitter.
They are so awesome to test the waters with me and be my first agent judges. A big THANK YOU to them. *applauding* They will go down as Cupid's legendary first.
Okay, so as the last post says...email me your YA entries NOW: cupidslitconnection@yahoo.com
Deadline: 20 January


Have at it!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My pleasure. Good luck with those you enter.

      Delete
  2. Jani, Thnx for taking the time to list all these contests for everyone! :o) Its just more of your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jani! I did ABNA last year and it was a great experience. I really encourage everyone to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete