Friday, January 6, 2012

I Read Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

This is probably as close to writing a book review as I'll ever get.  I'm going to try and do this more because you know they say that if you love an author's work, be best thing you can do is tell them or write a good review.  So this is me doing it so here I go.

It's not every day, actually it's never happened, that I read a book and instantly connect with a character.  This definitely happened when I started reading Hunting Lila.  Maybe it's because I was an army brat and some of the things Lila feels, especially after she moved to London, resonated so much with me.  Who am I kidding?  Of course that's why. Exactly why.  This alone made it hard for me to put it down.  It was a quick fun read and I can't wait for the next instalment.  So if you want something that's quick and fun, I recommend Hunting Lila.

There were a few lines in the novel that made me stop and think 'I want to write like that' and I thought I'd share them with you.

Little? It felt like he had given me a paper cut down the length of my body.

Alex walked straight over to a crowd of them at one of the tables and I stared after him feeling completely undone, like a zipper had been pulled and all of me was tumbling out.

She glanced over at Jack, heading back towards us with the drinks, and then said, "You know, there's this old saying, I'm not sure of the exact translation, but it's something like 'he who fears to suffer, suffers from fear" - think about it.'

How awesome is that quote about fear.  I need to put it up where I'll see it every day and won't forget it.  Especially this year.  You can find Sarah Alderson at her website or twitter. Her next book, Fated, sounds pretty great.

If you've read it, let me know what you thought.

1 comment: