Sunday, January 8, 2012

No Resolutions/Goals for Me this Year + Book Haul

Update: 10-01-2011 -  If any of you have Want posts, please let me know and I'll link you. I want to read it as well.

I added a link to my friend Juliana's Want post at the bottom of this post. Go check out what she wants to do this year.

My reader has been filled with posts about resolutions and goals everybody is setting for themselves this year.  It's inspiring to see everybody listing the things they want to get done during the year, both in their writing and in their personal lives.

But this year I've decided that I won't be setting a single goal or resolution for myself.  Why?  The reason is pretty simple:

I want this year to be open to any and all possibilities. 

Really. Throw anything at me. This year got off to a really crappy start for me so I think, and hope, that what's left of it will only be better. I'd settle for normal with exceptionally high points every other week or so.  That's not too much to ask, right?

What I take from that statement in bold is the word want.  There are a whole lot of things I want done this year.  So the things I want in no particular order:

*  I want to get Denizens ready for submission.  At the moment I'm doing a round of edits before I send it to my CPs to be taken apart. I want this done by the end of June.
*  I want to finish my 2011 Nano novel's first draft asap. There's just no other alternative.
*  I want to finish my light (fairytale-ish) YA fantasy Flight, a NaNo 2010 novel, before the end of the year, sooner if possible.  Initially I didn't intend to do anything with it, but ya know, it's 2012 and I'm still thinking about it. That should tell you something.
*  I want to make an effort to write every day of the week, at least 500 words. It can be on any of my writing projects. Luckily I have time to write at work so this is doable.
*  I want to post more regularly here at the blog and I want to be more active in commenting on my fellow writers' posts.
*  I want to read more books than I did last year, even if it is by just one, and I want to keep a steady reading pace.  No reading slumps for me if possible.
*  I want to enter as many contest as possible, so if you come across any, please link me.
*  I want to be the best CP I can be and support my writing partners.
*  I want to read more of my friends' flash fiction. Because my friends rock.
*  I want to post more review-ish post when I've read a book I really liked.  Hopefully I'll get to write another author fan letter. Who know.
*  I want to meet new people. Where I live(I have to clarify this, it's the internet for heaven's sake. Don't look at me like that).
*  I want to start getting my thoughts together for the mashup I want to write towards the end of the year, maybe even for NaNo 2012.  But to be honest, this novel will take more effort and attention than I can give it during NaNo, so it might be a pre or post NaNo novel. Let's see how it goes.

This is only a few of the things I'm looking at tackling this year.  I'm sure a few more will pop up along the way.  That's the reason behind me challenging life to throw anything at me. Positive, constructive anythings.  I'm open to it.  So let's see what this year bring us.

That's it for what my first official writerly post for this year.  On that note...

This is what my first book haul/looting for the year looks like.  Good fortune had me finding a bookstore, while on vacation, and it had lots and lots of sale stuff. Score me.

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Invincible (take note that I got Infinity at a reduced price as well)
Keri Arthur - Circle of Death
Keri Arthur - Penumbra
Jackie Kessler & Caitlin Kittredge - Black and White
Kim Harrison - Where Demons Dare
Kelley Armstrong - Dime Store Magic

 Have a great week, it's back to work for me tomorrow.

* Juliana Haygert - My 2012 plan (Go check it out, she has some great stuff she wants to get done this year.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I want so many things you want too ...
    "I want to be the best CP I can be and support my writing partners." << one of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant list! Wishing you the best with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliana, it helps having awesome CPs. Like always, we have A LOT of stuff in common. I love it.

    MC, thanks! I constantly want to add to that list, but I'm keeping at that for a while.

    ReplyDelete