Thursday, June 7, 2012

Oh look, a post with actual words about what my writing life is like at the moment

Longest title ever, right? Also, be prepared, there will be GIFs to express my feelings.

I changed the look of the blog as part of my campaign to get myself inspired to blog again. It's been a while since I've put anything uhm... worthy of reading up here. I still blog twice a month at Hugs and Chocolate about things that are important to me as a writer. You guys should really head on over there and read a few of the posts, there's some great content there, and insights from an editor and author with a book coming out next year. It's a great variety on a whole lot of different topics.

Speaking of writing...  I have no idea what's going on with mine at the moment. I know we're not really supposed to blog about our bad feeling when it comes to writing, but it's part of being a writer. So why hide it? 

I'm in this weird in-between space where I'm not sure what to make of anything. Last month I blogged about rewriting Denizens, and I was all fired up about getting to it. I had a plan, knew what had to change, had talked/emailed about all the changes I wanted to make. I did start, but when I finally reached chapter 7 all I wanted to do was this to the MS:


It didn't help that while doing these rewrites, all I could think about was TWCS. That did a very good job at distracting me and basically sucking up any motivation I had to work on the rewrites. But you gotta understand, TWCS is my extravert novel. I'm all (insert GIF below here) about it.


So I stopped rewrites and started rereading TWCS. I think what I needed to do was step back from Denizens and get used to the fact that it needs to be rewritten. The changes I'm making are big, for me at least, and I have to make peace with it. So while I do that, I'll finish reading TWCS(less than 100 pages to go), write a short story, then get back to it. I'm already a bit more enthused about getting back to the rewrite, so that's a relief. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be sending TWCS to four people to critique, which fills me with:


and this


and naturally this


But it's all good. We all go through it. Between the four I'll be sending TWCS to, I'm expecting a minimum of 1 000 comment between them. I'm not kidding, shit gets real with my CP. But I'm used to it now and I know they only want the best for me and my novels. Love them to death.  So I'll man up and do it. I actually like CP notes. It means I've got something to work with, and I know where the problems are.  So I take a deep breath and wait for the verdict. I really, really, really hope they like this one.



Lastly I want to send a BIG THANK YOU to a few people who've read my feeling-sorry-for-myself emails and tweets and told me to stop being silly. Tracy, Kat, Cait, Bridget, and Heather. You guys are awesome and I'm lucky to know you guys.

That's it. I'll be blogging once a week from now on, no matter what.  Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Look, a post!
    And great gifs of Dean Winchester! YUM!
    You know we believe in you and your writing! *Shakes pompoms*
    Go, Jani, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I have so many Sam and Dean GIFs, you'll love it. Thank you, Juliana. You know you're one of the four that'll be getting TWCS :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing rocks (I believe I may have mentioned this once or twice...) and everyone hits spots where they just can't face a certain WIP. You'll get past it - you have your rebound WIP already lined up, so you're golden ;)

    And seriously - NICE GIFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got totally distracted from what you were talking about in this post because I was too busy thinking "Jensen, you are so tastilicious!"

    ReplyDelete