Sunday, June 10, 2012

Reading Long and Writing Short

Now that TWCS has been sent to three of my CPs, I fear for my manuscript's life by the way, I'm rewarding myself with other things.

First up, I'm reading Kat Ellis's novel Purge and I'm loving it. It's the first unpublished novel I've I read where I don't have to critique or give beta notes. What I am doing is leaving a bunch of notes in the manuscript, just showing my Purge love and appreciation. Kat's a great writer and I love Mason, one of the main characters. It's gritty and raw with two completely opposite main characters, and I'm so privileged to read this. I honestly hope it lands her an agent soon.  

If you're so inclined to, head on over to her blog and read excerpts of it. You can find them here and here.
Next, I'm also reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd. I cannot express how much love I have for this novel. 

To be honest, it isn't what I expected at all, I did buy this book because I'd heard only good things about it, and I'm so glad I did. The writing alone is beautiful, and when you add Siobhan's haunting illustrations to the mix, it makes for an utterly stunning novel. I'm not done yet but I'm talking this one slowly and savouring every page and drawing. I highly recommend this one if you haven't read it yet.


This week I'll also be writing a Steampunk short story. It'll be a first for me, I haven't written anything even remotely close to Steampunk before and haven't written a short in years. But I want to expand my horizons a bit, start a collection of short stories, just for fun. It'll be good for me.

When all of this is done, then I'll get back to rewriting Denizens. That'll probably be the week after next, if I can get a handle on my procrastination. With nothing too pressing waiting, that monster likes to play. A lot.

That's it for now. Have a rocking week.

2 comments:

  1. I just got A Monster Calls.. can't wait to get to it. the illustrations are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll love it as much as I do. The illustrations give it extra life, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete