Sunday, October 14, 2012

More old things!

Yey. I get to subject you guys to another post about something old I found.

On Monday I stood in a friend's office and while I waited for her to finish what she was busy with, I saw a book. The thing was old and gorgeous and shiny and I fell in love with it immediately. So I picked it up, looked at it longingly, flipped through it, and returned it to the shelf.

On Thursday we repeated Monday wherein I waited for her to finish what she was busy with before we go get our first cup of coffee for the day. I once again picked up the book and this time I told her I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Do you know what she said to me? She said, 'take it'. I was all like 'What? Really?'

Apparently somebody threw away a whole lot of books and our editor saved them all and brought them to work. This book, and a few other, were all that was left after our editorial department went through the lot.

So I laid claim to this 1888 book of poetry in a language I don't understand. And I love it to death.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, very cool! How lucky you are!

    Your story of how you came across it reminds me of the book "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova--it's actually a story about Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's gorgeous! I collect old Jane Austen books. I think the oldest one I have is from 1903.

    ReplyDelete