Wednesday, November 14, 2012

14 days of NaNoWriMo madness

Let's just get this out there. I haven't looked at the revisions once. They'll have to wait for December.

With that out of the way, let's get to how the past 14 days have been treating me.


Not too shabby actually. With me, I've found that NaNo works best when it's paired with the whole slow-and-steady philosophy. Every day I've hit my daily target, and then just a little more to make up for the times when I don't feel like the words are working, or other things have to be done(like this entire week).

Here's a slightly insane thing for you. I have a NaNo buddy that standing at 66 000 words at the moment. 66k! In 14 days! That's basically 4 700 words a day. I have no words for that. It's a first draft so I'm definitely reserving my judgment. But still. It's a lot. Also, well done.

I've come to realize something else as I'm writing my stories, and especially with this one. With the new novels I write, the closer I come to it not being as... uhm... paranormal as I used to. I'm not sure exactly how to put it. All of my MSs have had some kind of paranormal/supernatural element in it. The first few where heavy, and there was no doubt about what genre it falls into. But with each story, I lose a bit of that para/super and it becomes more - I don't want to say contemporary - light paranormal/contemporary fantasy. If that makes sense.

I don't think I'll even not write fantastical stories - except for one idea I'm leaving for a rainy day - my stories will always have some kind of element of differentness to them. My NaNo novel has the fantasy element in it, but it's not prominent at all. I'm at 23k right now and there's only been two instance of it, and that was only a 'this is not normal'.

Right now I'm still trying to decide if next year's novel will be a magical realism one or a paranormal/urban fantasy with horror elements. A decent brainstorming session with my CPs will fix that, but see!?! Less fantasticalness! But I love that and will always have some of it somewhere in my stories.*

I'm pretty sure I wanted to write about a whole lot of other things, but I'm tired and haven't gotten to today's words yet. I blogged about finding your writing drive over at Hugs and Chocolate, if you want to read about that.

Lastly, I'll be posting my NaNo playlist(playbands?) later this week.

Ok, bye!

*Let this be a note for future me if I write more than one contemporary. Eat your words, past J.

2 comments:

  1. Great word count, Jani! And as of today, it looks like you're still doing well. We're over the hump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie! We are NaNo writing machines, and it's all downhill from here.

    ReplyDelete