Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Salutations to all you lovely people things.

I've been tagged in The Next Big Thing by two people I adore. First is Tonia Marie Harris who I blog with over at Hugs and Chocolate. She's a wonderful person, supportive and lovely and all the good things that a person can be. Second I was tagged by Kat Ellis, good friend and CP extraordinaire. She's a kickass writer, always willing to help everybody, and just generally a great person to know. We sort of share a brain. I have the best conversations with her while all our American friends are sleeping.

I decided to use my novel Those Who Can't Speak for this blog tag since I want to start querying it soon. With Sandy and NaNo, now might not be the best time to send out queries.

Here are the rules:

* Give credit to the person/blog  that tagged you
* Post the rules for this hop
* Answer these ten questions about your current WIP on your blog
* Tag five other writers/blogger and add their links so we can hop over and meet them 


What is the working title of your book? 
Those Who Can't Speak

Where did the idea come from for the book?
It actually stemmed from one of my other novels, a story called Denizens.  The main character from Denizens ran away from the city she lived in to get away from the bad things she's done. I was wondering about this city she fled, and the MC of TWCS, Cadence, and the relationship she has with her best friend came to mind. The two are tight and I started thinking about how they came to be so dependent on each other. Zadie is mute but Cadence and her brother can both hear what she has to say. The rest just sort of fell into place.

What genre does your book fall under? 
Young Adult Urban Fantasy.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? 
Mmm... I love this question because I've found the perfect people to play the parts. I'll share the four most important ones.

First and most important, Cadence. I'd love for her to be played by Selena Gomez. She'd be perfect!
Then we have Sebastian(Eric Christian Olsen) who's Cadence brother. I adore him. He's laid back but goes into protective overdrive when it comes to Cadence. Naturally she doesn't make it easy for him.
 I would love for Elizabeth Gillies to play Cadence's best friend Zadie. Look at that face. That's pretty perfect for Zadie.
And lastly, I would have a young Charlie Hunnam play Cadence's love interest, Gammon (yes, there's a reason his name is Gammon).

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I'm going to use the Hook, Line, and Sinker pitch that got me a few requests for this question. Not one sentence, but I'm sure you'll excuse me. I was overwhelmed by the pretty boys above:

Seventeen-year-old Cadence has a tough job keeping her city and its residents safe from the Saints and Prophets held prisoner inside. When somebody starts de-spiriting the city’s people on her watch, she has to work fast to catch the culprit while the prison walls start to crumble, or watch everyone she cares about fall victim to the madman behind it.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'm really hoping I find an agent who'll love my story as much I as love it.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I'm going to try and give you the short version. The first draft took basically between 4 - 5 months(longer than usual).

I wrote the first 52k during NaNoWriMo 2011. There were a lot of potholes(not plot holes) tripping me up in getting just the first draft done. The first one was plotting. I'm not a plotter, but I'm all for trying things at least once to see if it works for me. Plotting killed this story, and it was only after I tore the plot outline to shreds that I was able to get back to the story. The second thing that stopped the story from making it to the end was writing a scene where I killed off a character I really like. It depressed me, and I had to take a break from writing TWCS for a week or two. It had to happen for the story to move forward. I'm still sad about it. But so it goes. This was the hardest novel for me to write.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I honestly don't know. I'm not saying that there isn't something to compare it to, I just haven't read anything that I can compare it to within YA. If any of my CPs or readers want to throw out titles, that'll be cool.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
This book was inspired by the book I wrote before it, Denizens. I wanted to know what Denizen's main character had left behind. The people. The situation. But I also wanted this story to be so totally different from what's out there that I didn't have to worry about somebody having written something similar. I wanted this one to be all mine. I hope I've done that.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
My city's a pretty awesome place. Fighting Saints and Prophets. A boy wearing a cape. A talking crow. Two best friends that would be lost without each other. MC/LI angst. I've been told there are a lot of surprising twists and turns as well, which makes me happy.


That's about it. This is the first time I've talked about TWCS, in such detail, in public. It's strange but nice too.

I'm tagging the following people:

Juliana Haygert

Ladonna Watkins

Ian Hiatt

April Brown

Dahlia Adler
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this WIP, you know that, and Gammon <3
    Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete