Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Roundup - Highlights/What I Remember Most

I'm not going to lie, this has not been a good year for me. Lots of things went wrong, personal things, writing things. But that's life. Nothing is supposed to be easy because we can't really appreciate what we have if we didn't work for it, right? BUT, there were good things too, so let's get to it. With GIFs, because this post would be boring without GIFs.

Those Who Can't Speak
We talk about writing the book of our heart. I have three of those. Denizen(currently on ice), TWCS, and My Bones(next year's novel). I finished TWCS in April. The journey to completing this novel was a rough, bumpy one, but I'm so happy that I took the road I did. I love this book. I do. I love everything about it. Which brings me to my next things.


Cadence
Cadence is the main character of TWCS, and I have a lot of feelings about the kind of person she is. She's tough, direct, not apologetic, but loves the people in her life so much that it sometimes influences how she handles things. I had so much fun writing her, and I hope to do it again. I recently sent my first 30 pages to somebody I don't know, and the things that I remember the most about the feedback I got from that person, was that she loved Cadence and that she thought I had something really special. I don't know why it made me so happy that a stranger like my MC but it did. Maybe it's because I really worry about writing another unlikable MC. It really worries me. That comment just made my month.

Kat Ellis
I met Kat this year and became critique partners. But there's so much more to this story. It's something really special when you meet somebody who not only totally gets the stories you write, but gets you on a friend level as well. That's a killer combo right there We call each other Halfbrain because our thinking is so similar it's kinda freaky. She's an excellent/talented/awesome writer and I adore her. Something else I want to add here is the Twitter story we wrote together: The possession of Grammy's Hat.

Hugs and Chocolate
At the beginning of the year my friend Heather approached me about a new inspirational blog for writers she was starting with a few other writers. I've been wanting to contribute to some kind of writing blog for ages and was so happy when she asked me to join. The ladies I blog with has made my life so much richer and I adore all of them. Just knowing them makes me want to be a better person. They inspire me.

Reading
I didn't read as much as I wanted to, but the books I did manage to fit in were fantastic. I wrote a Dear Author letter to Kevin Hearne because I loved the novel I read so much. You're welcome to go read it.

The most awesomest spam email ever.
Did you read the post where I shared with you my not so imminent demise? No? Well, here you go: 1 spam email (not to be confused with 1 missed call.

As the Walls Fall(title might change)
I know I don't talk about this novel a lot because my life has been revolving around TWCS the last couple of months. I have the official 'I finished another novel' post saved somewhere and it will still go up. Probably at the end of the month. Nobody's read this one yet. My CP Juliana will be the first one, but only in January. Sending anything to anybody this time of the year is a bit insane. Everybody's busy with their own family/holiday stuff. There's plenty of time next year. I'm also kinda nervous. AtWF is the first very romancy novel I've written. But this one I wrote on my own terms. I'm just hoping it turned out good.

Now for a few short things:
NaNoWriMo: I don't know it this year's NaNo can be called a success. Yes, I managed the 50k, and technically I won, but since I finished the story I haven't thought about it once. I'm not sorry I wrote it. I'm just very glad it's out of my system.
Gabi: My best friend had a baby. She's tiny and gorgeous and perfect. I love her so much.
Twitter: Twitter has been a high point for me as well. I've met so many new people and have had some of the best conversations on it.
Juliana: My friend a CP Juliana Haygert released her first novella, Her Heart's Secret Wish. It's a great Christmas read if you find yourself with a free moment.

That's it from me. I'll see you next year. Here's to hoping 2013 will be the best year ever.

6 comments:

  1. Love this post, Halfbrain! 2013 is going to be a blast, and I'm glad we get to ride the writerollercoaster together. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for a great 2013!!! I'm grateful for you and Kat in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for 2012! Thanks for the mention!
    Here's to a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. And excellent GIFS!!!! Now you make me want to meet Cadence ... Especially with that Selena Gomez gif! :-).
    I count you as one of the awesome people I met this year via twitter. So happy for that. <3. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hay, it's been a real pleasure getting to know you. I look forward to much more of the same in the year to come :D I do love Selena. I'm not even going to lie about it. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete