Friday, December 7, 2012

Dear Author: Kevin Hearne


Most beloved Kevin.

It took me longer than I’m happy with to finish your novel. I say that I’m not happy(quite miserably so) because I adored it so much. With it being so close to the end of the year and with my own scribbling and that day-job thing, there is just so little time to breathe, and even less to read. But I do anyway, even if it’s just for one chapter at 23:30.

I remember the exact place I bought my copy of Hounded. There’s a Top Books on the other side of what we call the mountain. It’s not really a mountain in the sense of the word, but it isn’t a hill either. Anyway, it’s on the other side of the mountain, but still close to my house(I do not live in a village, btw). I like this Top Books because the staff is really nice, and there’s a lady I chat with sometimes. I might also have moved a lot of YA books from the adult shelves to the YA section and nobody complained about it. The nice lady actually asked me which ones they should move as well, and of course I helped her out. You definitely can’t have Richelle Mead’s adult books in the YA section. Noooooo. Definitely not. They took my suggestions and made the shifts. Book people are so nice.

I’d been browsing the shelves since I didn’t really have the money to buy books right then, it might have been a week or so before payday, and I recognized the cover of Hounded from seeing it around the internet. I vaguely remembered reading the description and finding it interesting, but it had been a while ago. We're not that big on release days here in South Africa, since most of the new releases only show up in our bookstore two to three months after the fact. But it stuck with me so obviously it deserved another gander when I spotted it.

Long story short, I bought it. How could I not? I’m such a fan of the genre, and the story didn’t sound like anything I’d read before. So this is kind of my first Thank You.

There are three things I thought about a lot while reading Hounded, and even when I wasn’t. The first thing was rambling. No. No. It’s nothing like that. I’m just saying there’s a lot of rambling about random things in your story and I LOVED EVERY SINGLE WORD OF IT. I write, but I know that if I ever attempted to write like this, it wouldn’t work. I’m kind of in awe about how you did it. This comes from writer me, not reader me. I want to know how. Seriously. How did/do you do it? The rambling ties in with thing number two since they’re kinda related. (Thank you for the above, btw.)

You have an insanely awesome amount of detail in the rambling, and that’s what makes the rambling work for me. Atticus throws in these unnecessary, inane details sometimes, things we don’t really have/need to know, yet it works in the most bizarre way. Take out the detail and you would remove a whole level of intricate awesomeness. Does that make any sense? I think it does.

Atticus makes my face happy(the cover model for the novel is crazy hot. I thought I'd just throw that in there. You know. Because). This comes from reader me, and it’s the third thing. If I could, I would have liked to sit on a wall somewhere and just watch him all day, or at one of his shop’s tables. Ideally he wouldn’t even know I’m there. I’d watch him, not in a stalkerish kind of way, well, not completely, but in an I’m-so-freaking-fascinated-by-you kind of way. Now that I really think about all the male POV novels I’ve read over the years, I can actually say that Atticus is my favorite. His character captivates me. Atticus being Atticus, with such a chilled out personality, just the tiniest hint of jadedness. You almost miss it if you don’t pay attention. But even after all his years of living and all the things he’s seen and experience, he still thinks there's worth out there. He's also the kind of character I would love to sit with in a park, talking about everything and nothing.

Kevin, I love your writing style. I love how you assembled Atticus, all the intricacies you see, and even more those you don’t. Everything in the novel compliments each other and weaves together just right.

Thank you for writing a most excellent novel. I can’t wait for my next trip to a bookstore to pick up Hexed.

Your adoring(not in a stalkerish way) fan,
Jani.

1 comment:

  1. Well, after this, I think I HAVE to read the book. It's been on my tbr list for long and I heard so much (good) about it ... if only I didn't have like 70 books at home to read first ... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete