Monday, December 3, 2012

The Value in Writing Crappy Novels


 
I’m going to keep this one short, you honestly do not want me whining for more than 500 words about the month of November and what happened during it.

I’ve had Changing Face unfinished for probably over a year, though that might be a lie because I’m not exactly sure when I started the original draft. I know that I stopped writing it at around 8k because I didn’t like where the story was going. I left it in its novel folder and worked on something else.

I had no intention of doing NaNo this year, especially because I have a million other things to. But if you’re anything like me, the challenge is something. I. Just. Can’t. Resist. So the day before NaNo started, I decided to do it. I had an unfinished novel that needed to be restarted, and now was the perfect time, right?

Right. Because I can’t leave something unfinished no matter if it’ll end up in the trunked folder. Finishing this novel in November means that if I end up trunking this novel(which I did), I’d only spent a month on it. I’m so very glad I did it.

There is value in writing novels you never intend on doing anything with. With me, I need to get ideas out of my system, otherwise they’ll occupy space in my thoughts that could be better used for other things. Quite a few of my twitter friends insisted that I shouldn’t trunk it, I might just want to get back to it later – and maybe they’re right – but I don’t see that happening. I wrote this novel to get it out of my system. That’s it. It’s not special enough, and I’m writer and adult enough to admit it.

It’s a crappy novel. I’m allowed to say it because it’s mine. There are definitely things in it that aren’t crappy. There are things that happen that I would love to use in another story. There are character traits I will definitely pull over to some of my next stories. But in the big scheme of things, it’s a crappy novel.

Am I sorry that I spent a month(time I could have been doing something else) working on it? Not at all. Did I want to stop and throw the whole idea out the window? YES! Daily. But I’m still not sorry. And one of the big reasons I’m not sorry, is because I got to spend time with a bunch of characters from the first novel of my heart(I have three). It was like meeting up with old friends and reminiscing about all the good times, all the bad times, catching up, and all that. It did a good job at reminding me that I still have another novel that I need to revise/rewrite. Toward the end I let it rip and ignored all the writing rules. It was glorious. There were adverbs everywhere. It felt really good.

Nope. My NaNoWriMo 2012 novel might be a crappy novel, but I’m not sorry I wrote it.

1 comment:

  1. I also hate leaving things unfinished. I have a novel that I think I love, but it's sitting on the final battle scene. Seriously. So close to the end, and I let it go. I know it needs lots of work -- I don't know if you remember, but I told you when I was writing it (back in July) that this was the barest novel I have even written -- but, I think the story is good.
    I wrote 3 novels before writing Destiny Gift and, though I love the stories, the writing is BAD. But they served their purpose: to make my writing better and to give me scenes or ideas I used in other novels/novellas.
    I'm glad you finished your nano novel. The accomplished feeling is a great one ;)

    ReplyDelete