Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Things I would like from 2013

I don't to resolutions. I don't do goals. Not when it comes to a new year. For me, there's just too much that can go wrong, or right, to make accomplishing big things without mishap a reasonable thing.  What I do like doing is setting up a list of things I want to achieve/accomplish during the year.  So that's what the list below represents. My wants for 2013. If all of them happen, fan-freaking-tastic. If they don't, that's ok. There's always next year. I think age has mellowed me out. I like it.

The list below was originally posted over at my group blog Hugs and ChocolateWishes and Resolutions for 2013. I'm elaborating on a few of them here.

1. I would like an agent. I’m not going to rush it. It’ll happen when it’s supposed to happen. 2013 would be nice though. I have such a great team of CPs and writer friends with me, that anything feels possible.
2. Read more. I managed about 40 books this year(beta reads included), and I’m not completely happy with the amount. Yes, I’m a slow reader, but last year’s slow as unnecessary. 
3. Comment more on blog posts. I’ve been slacking, but I have this thing. I comment, and what I write sounds stupid, so most of the time I keep my thoughts to myself. But I'm really going to try. Really.

4. Write, rewrite, revise, and edit a novel tentatively titled My Bones. I want it done by the end of the year. I'm super excited about this one. Nervous too. It's either going to be awesome, or meh. I want it to be way better than awesome.
Steampunk Pendant by VaughnSaball
5. Polish my YA Steampunk. I have a lot of feelings about this one. I'm editing it a bit before sending it to my first reader/CP, and I'm totally falling in love with the MC and her BF every time I read about them. Also the grumpy, always mumbling Tig.
6. Finish up my YA Fantasy/Fairy Tale from NaNo 2010. I see hard times ahead for this one. I'm not used to writing fluffy stories. This is very fluffy. Or at least the start is. It's a duel POV, so I might switch it around to start with my other MC. I've been seriously considering turning this novel into a contemporary fantasy, but I'm not sure. It'll mean basically rewriting the entire novel. This one isn't my top priority so I'll fix the first two chapters, ask a CP to read it and give me opinions and thoughts. I should make peace with the fact that this story just should not be. I've got too many other awesome things to keep me busy, to spend time on a story that won't have 100% of my attention. 
7. Be more structured in my writing time. The last four years it’s been all over the place. Yeah, it worked for me, but I like trying new things to see if it might work even better. I'm hesitant about this one. Like writing it on a piece of toilet paper. It has almost no substance, but it's usable.
8. Beta read more. Or at the least exchange more work.
9. Be open to new things. Now matter what.

That's about it. Nothing major or what I wouldn't have done anyway. Happy new year to all of you. I look forward to seeing it through with all of you.

4 comments:

  1. Great "wants"! I'm sure your 2013 is going to rock!
    And I'll be here to cheer for you, hug you when needed, and to celebrate the good things!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your new stuffff!! <3

    I'm feeling good about 2013, let's have a great year together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I knew you wrote a steam punk but not a fluffy fairy tale, ... did I? Looking forward to more from you... - would like to help, if I can.
    I like the idea of "wants" vs resolutions... makes more sense...
    I'm sure this year is going to be a great on for you :)

    ReplyDelete