Sunday, April 14, 2013

Review: Hero of My Heart by Megan Frampton

You read that right. A review. Of a historical romance. Why? Because I love them(I'm also a hopeless romantic and adore a good love story). 

Historical romance has done a lot for me over the years, though I never talk about. I forget sometimes, and then I read a book like this, and I’m reminded. This is the type of story I read to get away from everything. I read it for the sheer pleasure and escape it offers me, and this story did that for me. Maybe I'll blog about what this genre did, and still does, for me one day. Righ now, the least I can do is write a review, right? It's my way of saying thank you to the author and to thank them for giving me such a gift.

I also want my blog to be more active, so you'll see reviews popping up from time to time. So here we go...


***


Hero of My Heart tells the story of Mary and Alasdair, and I like to think that they were destined to save each other. The title might refer to Alasdair, but the hero part definitely applies to Mary as well.

The story kicks off with Mary’s brother trying to sell her, and Alasdair’s need for meaning and purpose - also his sense of decency - pushing him into buying her. This kicks of a whole slew of obstacles the two must face together during their journey to London.

Mary is a strong and courageous leading lady and doesn’t allow the very flawed Alasdair to get away with anything. There’s such a strong theme of salvation here, his and hers, though both for different reasons. It’s the strongest with Alasdair because of a difficult past and his need for drugs to deal with it.  When he meets Mary, he grabs onto her like a lifeline, and she proves to be exactly what he needs while they make their way to London, which takes place during most of the novel. I really appreciated that his addiction played such a prominent role and that the author didn’t shy away from or give it an easy fix, though his recovery might have been a touch unrealistic.

I would have like the journey to London to have been shorter and for there to have been more danger and confrontation in the city itself, but that didn’t take away from the story. Mary’s bother also deserved more than he got and I would have liked to see him getting it closer to the conclusion of the story. But other than that, reader me had no complaints.

This one was completely about the main characters, not the plot, which was pretty straight forward. There’s a John Calvin quote that I loved: The torture of a bad conscience is the hell of a living soul. Although I had no idea who the man was, it had enough of an impact on me that I went to good old Wikipedia to find out more. Just for this quote alone, I’m glad I read this story. And that’s one of the things that makes the time spent reading a book worth it, that I get to learn something from it. Even if just the meaning of one new word.

I thoroughly enjoyed Hero of My Heart and would recommend it to any historical romance lover looking for a quick, fun read. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for Megan’s next historical romance.

A big thank you to Random House Loveswept and NetGalley for the copy.

Twitter: @meganf

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'll be adding it to my TBR pile immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delightful read, for sure :D

      Delete