Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L. Reid


Know what makes me really happy? When an awesome cover lives up to the story it represents. It doesn’t happen often enough, so when the two complement each other so well, reader me is extra impressed.
Heather will be stopping by on the 28th as part of the blog tour, and we’ll be having some fun with things/images that represent important things in this story

So let’s get to it, without spoiling too much of it. I hope.

Here’s the blurb for Pretty Dark Nothing:


It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent. When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.

Sounds creepy, right? That’s because it is! It’s creepy and dark and wonderfully twisted. Quinn’s nightmares start bleeding into her real life, and no matter how hard she tries to convince herself that it’s not real, the more real it becomes. Pretty much like ignoring a tooth ache with the hope that it’ll go away. We all know how that works, right? Well, Quinn deals with it in abundance, and Heather did a fantastic job at bring this across.

The moments when Quinn are alone with her demons(make of that whatever you want) are my favorite parts. They are so extremely real to her, and that skyrockets her paranoia and makes for some interesting and torturous situations and choices. I loved and appreciated that she made more a few questionable decisions and that they all basically backfire. Although she deserves the repercussions of those decisions, I did feel sorry for her. But what overshadowed my sympathy was my absolute love for Aaron.

I can’t even. I know Heather won’t mind if I confess that I loved Aaron the most. I couldn’t wait to get to his parts. I might be more drawn to characters like him than I thought. Yeah, he’s got a boatload of issues that almost – but not quite – rival Quinn’s, but he’s a lot more grounded and level headed than what I’ve read lately. He’s still a teen, with the thoughts and feelings that go with it, and I like to think that even without what brings them together and tears them apart, they would have ended up with each other. Good thing there’s a second book, right? That cliffhanger was a killer. You’ll either love it or hate it, but it will leave you wanting more. I wonder what the author considers an acceptable bribe…

When it comes to the writing there are two things that I appreciated. First, I loved the writing style, especially when Quinn was dreaming. It’s so different from when Quinn was awake, which did a fantastic job at creating an obvious divide between the worlds she was in. The other thing I loved was that the story followed Quinn and Aaron separately. Both of them had a story to tell, and this way we got to see both sides, like having your cake and eating it. I want cake now.

I loved Pretty Dark Nothing and can’t wait for the second book to make its way onto my kindle. If you’re in the mood for something creepy, dark, and with a dose of high school drama to make everything that much more interesting, this novel is totally for you.

Thank you so much to Month9Books and NetGalley for the copy. It was a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment