Saturday, November 9, 2013

Writing With a Big Cast

Earlier this week I asked Twitter for some tips and tricks for writing a big cast. My NaNo project this year is an adult one and includes a bit of an extended cast. I'm not 100% sure what genre it'll fall into, and at the moment I don't care. It might end up being romantic suspense, but there are elements of thriller and mystery as well.

Fortunately/unfortunately I have a big cast. The story starts off with two plot lines and later narrows its focus to one, and that means we meet a lot of people. When I write I usually try to get things as right as possible in my first draft, and asked for the tips to help me do that.

There's surprisingly little about it out there(or it's just difficult to find) and I decided to share the tips I received from my Twitter friends. At the bottom I'll add a few links as well. If you have anything to add, I'd appreciate it. Hope this helps if you're looking into the same thing.

PS: I have no idea how to get rid of the parent tweets. Sorry :)





 Here are a couple of posts I found:


2 Ways to Manage a Large Cast of Characters in Your Novel - The Write Practice

David Farland’s Daily Kick in the Pants—Dealing with a Large Cast of Characters - David Farland

Handling a Cast of Thousands - Part I Getting to Know Your Characters - Will Greenway

Handling a Cast of Thousands - Part II Your Story as Your Characters (and Readers) See It - Will Greenway

Controlling Your Cast: How Many Characters Is Too Many? - WriteWorld

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have a massive cast this time around, added my last one at 25k, but these tips really helps and will come in handy when I rewrite. Glad they'll help you too.

      Delete