Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My 2014 wants and 2013 favorite books

I tweeted yesterday that 2013 was a complete and utter waste of time for me. I didn't write or finish any good novels, I didn't do anything big. I lived, sometimes quietly, sometimes a little louder than usual. I'm an adult and I'm ok with it.

As I've done in previous years, I'm going to list my wants because I don't do resolutions. Here's the list of things I want from 2014*:

- I want to be happier in everything I do(work/personal life). It's as simple as that.
- I want to read more.
- Explore the world more, and save up for a trip to a different continent.
- I want to critique and beta read more. With that, I want to be a better critique partner and find one
  more person to add to my currently awesome list.
- Cooking! I really do want to try and make food that takes more than 5 minutes to put together.
- I still haven't found my purpose in life, so maybe I'll get a step closer to that this year. No hurry
  though.
- I want to do more nice things for other people, even if it's just a kind word, a cup of coffee, a hug,
  helping somebody carry their bags. I want to be a better person.
- Get out of the house more. Yes, this is a thing for me.
- Drop a few more KGs, exercise more, be more comfortable with me.
- And lastly, I want to write a book that will have my friends go 'You should read my friend's novel. It's
  really good, I think you'll like it'. Something that's tweet worthy, if you know what I mean. That would
  make me beyond happy, and it's really all I want.

*None of thing things on my 'want' list is written down with bad or negative feelings.

Here's a few of my favorite books as I read them throughout the year:




Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
Admittedly, I've watched the movie a million times. I've made no secret about it being my favorite animated flick of all time and that it inspires the hell out of me, but at the end of 2012 I decided it's time that I read it. I did and loved it just as much as the move. I've got it's sequel on this year's TBR pile and I'm really looking forward to it.






Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
This is such a special book for me. I've added it to my favorite books of all time. The moment I started reading I fell in love with Laini Taylor's words, and as I continued I said to myself 'this is what I want to write like'. Reading this book was a turning point for me and the way I write, and even though my words will never even come close to being compared to hers, it's something I'm working towards. It's a good thing because I'll never stop working toward getting better.




Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) by Katie McGarry
I shied away from reading YA contemporary novels because their stakes are usually not the kind that keeps me reading, but when I stumbled across Katie's book on NetGalley, I decided to give it a shot. It was the best reading decision I've made this year. I love her writing and I'm in love with this series. Fan for life.









Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton
This book. When I finished reading this novel, I sat back and thought, 'I wish I'd written this story'. It has such a unique concept, and I know I wouldn't have been able to do it half as much justice as Kelsey did.






 



Elite (Eagle Elite, #1) by Rachel Van Dyken
This book blew me away with its awesomeness. Seriously, I could yammer on about how much I loved it, but you can go read my review. I'm sorry that the sequel didn't live up to it 100%, but I still really like it as well.








Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) by Katie McGarry
Yeah, I already have one Katie McGarry book on here, but this is definitely one I'll remember. If possible, it's even better than Dare You To, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next in the series.









Destiny Gift (Everlast, #1) by Juliana Haygert
In the post before this one I review Destiny Gift, and I've been lucky enough to have read the sequel, the review of which will be up in the next week or two. It's a wonderful addition to the NA market that's so full of contemporary tales.











No Mercy (Were-Hunter, #6; Dark-Hunter, #18) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
I've only linked to one book, but I've read seven of her books this year across different series, and I'm still a fan. I can't get enough of her books, and they will always be on my favorite lists. I'm starting a new one tonight and I can't wait.



 

I had a really good year in books and it makes me even more excited about what's sitting on my TBR.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jani! Your goals sound a whole heck of a lot like mine. :-) Especially being a better person and reading more often. I got so wrapped up in my WIP this year I think I read like 5 books. My favorite one was Not A Drop To Drink though. Amazing book. I wish you a very happy new year, and tons of luck and support in your goals this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan. Looks like we've got a lot in common. I've heard a lot of good things about NaDtD, and see that it's today's kindle daily deal. I'll add it to my tbr. Thank you for stopping by and all the best for you as well :D

      Delete
  2. Love your list, hon. 2014 is YOUR year!

    Thanks for including DG <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. Loved DG and SO, so it's my total pleasure.

      Delete
  3. What, how did I not see this post until now?

    *hugs!!!* I'm cheering for you and feel extremely fortunate to be on your CP/beta list :D Let's have a great rest of the year together <3

    ReplyDelete